The trip to the National Photographic Portrait Prize at the NPG was a really interesting insight into the talent of contemporary photographers. Although I didn't quite appreciate the portrait that one first prize, I found this image titled 'Daniel' by Nikki Toole incredibly fascinating and inspiring. I just adore the lighting of this image: the delicate diffusion adds a subtle dream-like effect to the overall atmosphere of the photograph. The dark, moody background contributes further to this. The subject himself looks to be quite young, and his shirtless chest suggests vulnerability and gives the viewer the impression that they are witnessing something intimate. In addition to this, the subject's posture adds a casual ambiance to the photograph and yet the fact that the subject is directly addressing the camera by looking straight into the lens (and in turn the viewer's eyes) contradicts the informal nature of the subject's lax posture. This contradiction captures the very awkwardness of youth and the struggle to form identity. The Artist mentions that the work was an image belonging to a series investigating intimacy. The fact that the viewer is put in a position where he or she feels like they are witnessing something more that a portrait addresses this desired theme particularly well. I chose this image for first prize because of the pureness of the subject and the many questions presented (and answered?) with the use of simple yet effective lighting and subject posing.
I feel kinda bad bagging on some one's photograph that made it this far into the competition (there must have been some reason the judges chose it, right?) but this is the photograph that I felt shouldn't have made it into the final selection. Its titled 'Fearless Leader" by Rosalind Smallwood. Portraiture for me is an art, something carefully composed, mulled over, refined to the utmost perfection and then edited again, always with a purpose in mind. I'm not saying that this photo wasn't created with diligence and some level of creativity, but to me it turned out more as a Kodak moment rather then a gallery worthy artwork. To its credit, the photograph does bring one to question what exactly is gallery-worthy, but personally I go to a gallery to witness outstanding feats of art rather then blown-up images that can be found in my draws at home.
Additionally, I feel that the subject's eyes are not visible enough, which detracts from the portrait. Often when an artist is approaching portraiture for the first time they are taught that the eyes are windows to the soul, and are a crucial in adding a back story to the picture. The shadows around the subject's eyes prevents the viewer from gathering enough information about the subject and therefore gives very little interpretive leeway.
The patterns on the subject's face created by the texture of the hat he wears is (i assume) an attempt to add depth to the photograph. Yet, the uneven nature of the pattern just adds clutter to the image and distracts the viewer's eye from the subject's face and directs attention instead to the origin of the annoying pattern (the white hat).
Overall I feel that this photograph is just too plain ordinary to have made it into the final stages of the competition.
Ok, off to watch Tree Man. Freaky.
Both images found on NPG website: http://www.portrait.gov.au/site/NPPP2009_9.php

No comments:
Post a Comment