I'm probably bias because I just adore Henson's work but, the first photograph I decided to discuss was this one, a part of the triptych paying homage to composer Simone Young's musical career. The photo reminded me of people watching an opera in the dark, with their faces lit up by stage lights and emotion. Young looks deeply moved by what she is witnessing, and after reading the little snippet about her life, this photo simply made sense. The expression on Young's face, the soft atmospheric lighting and the lack of background interference provides a sense of absolute awe without distraction or reserve. This depiction of awe defines what exactly this person is about. Music.
Not really any defining Australian characteristics that I can tell. The high contrast between light and dark or chiaroscuro technique is most prominent in the image and quite popular with Henson, which gives the image not only a sense of individuality but also rawness and depth, like looking into the soul of the subject.
(www.portrait.gov.au)
Second, this photograph by Robin Sellick depicting one of our Australian icons in an interesting yet kind of predictable light. I guess that this is one of the easier images to define as most effective in providing the viewer with a 'sense of the subject's identity' because we all know Steve loved animals, the elephant is an animal therefore representing subjects identity. But I also liked the expression on the subject's face which is one of enjoyment yet concern (possibly for the future's environmental state?).
Due to the fact that Irwin is one of the most iconic Australian's to both Australians and others I'd call his face as particularly Australian.
Next, National Archives of Australia. The objects I chose were as follows...
1) Sir Charles Kingsford Smith's pilots licence. He became famous by travelling by plane from the United States to Australia in three hops. I think that this represents an important aspect or value of Australian culture because...........
He helped put Australia on the map.
2) A photograph of two girls presumably in Luna Park on a ride with the Sydney Harbor Bridge in the background. Why? Because everyone everywhere associates the harbour bridge with Australia. So there.
Ummm, I think thats all. Thankyou. Now I have to go clean my rat's cage.


No comments:
Post a Comment