Tuesday, April 7, 2009

In The Shower (bauhaus)

So obviously I was reflecting on the subject of the Bauhaus movement in the shower because this is what I came up with as my topic object: a pair of taps. The Bauhaus movement started at a revolutionary school founded by Walter Gropius in Weimar. The school was big on a hands-on approach to learning to and combining crafts and fine art to create practical items utilized in everyday life.

These (if badly taken, sorry) photographs of my shower taps reminded me of Bauhaus because of their beautifully flowing shape, clean lines and decorative yet not over stated design as well as their practical nature. I assume the taps are made of stainless steel with a bit of plastic for the 'hot' and 'cold' indicators. They came from ...well Bunnings actually.
They're simple, attractive and never presume to represent anything besides an ol' pair of hot n' cold taps. However, the flowing curves, clean surface and obvious yet interestingly shaped utilities linked to making one's turning experience more enjoyable (such as the protruding handles for increased grip) enhance the appearance of the object significantly. I sound like a washed-up car salesman, so in summary:
Members of the Bauhaus movement wanted to work with art and everyday objects, therefore combining the two to create useable art which was no longer just a collection of ideas to be viewed in a gallery but real-life objects designed to be interacted with, and beheld as something designed to share beauty in every aspect of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment